What did you have for breakfast this morning ?

Breakfast for me is the most important meal of the day. I do take the time to cook, sit, eat and enjoy.

If, like me, you are following a low carb high fat lifestyle it could have been two slices of ham with some mushrooms and a fried egg. Well that was my tasty and nutritious breakfast this morning.

In the days before I knew better it may have been a bowl of cereal and some toast, topped with marmalade. Sugar, grains, more sugar etc but I didn't know the harm it was doing to me.

My dear dad, who is in his 89th year, has for the past 50 years or more had a low carb high fat diet/lifestyle. The funny thing is he didn't realise this is what he was doing. It wasn't until he was taken ill and after seeing the Doctor he and my mother decided to alter what they were eating. Surprisingly his Doctor advised him to cut out potatoes, bread, rice ... now remember this was 50 years ago. I have to be honest, he did still have a small potato on his plate when he sat down for Sunday Roast Dinner. His main meals of the day are meat and vegetables or perhaps fish with vegetables. He enjoys salads in the summer. However, his breakfasts have been, and still are, bacon, sausage, ham, mushrooms, with the occasional tomato - he does ring the changes as the saying goes. Carbohydrates like bread, toast, cereal are not seen in his kitchen cupboards. To this day he remains very active and walks every day. Even in the colder weather, his thick coat goes on, and he does his round the park walk as he calls it.

For me a low carb high fat lifestyle is all about balance. We need to balance the food we eat, together with regular exercise and good sleep patterns. I'm not necessarily talking of pounding the treadmills or running the streets, but if you want to do that, it's fine by me.We all know what we can do and what we want to do. I'm like my dad and enjoy walking. I also try to do little things like climb the stairs and not take a lift.Walk to the local shop and not get in the car, sometimes it's the small things that can help too.

I think many do struggle with getting life's balance right. Our lives have more and more demand on them.Some find it easier than others, some have other health issues that should be taken into account. Some are so good at making excuses.

I read this recently and it struck a chord " Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending".

An ending has to have a beginning and my beginning this morning was a good low carb high fat breakfast.

What did you have for breakfast this morning?

Well thanks to 'Wall to Watch' by clicking here you can see what people in other countries may have enjoyed.

I hope you all enjoy your day.

All the best Jan

No comments:

Post a Comment